AdLand Suit is Dan Shute, a Board Account Director at Delaney Lund Knox Warren, a top ten London Advertising Agency. This is where I write about the life of a Suit - which can include pretty much anything. Delaney's didn't know I was doing this, but they do now. They still don't agree with everything I say though. They'd also probably rather I swore less.

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Understanding Newspapers - Quick Media Tip


Just a very quick one from me today, as things are fairly manic, it can't decide whether it's sunny or raining outside, and I'm gradually convincing myself that I've got swine 'flu. (I almost certainly haven't got swine 'flu. Though I undoubtedly will have it at some point this summer, as we all will. In fact, you probably contracted it and recovered while you were reading that last sentence. Congratulations.)

Anyway - to business. I haven't really spoken about the world of media very much before, but it's something a good Suit will need to know about, and be able to discuss at length. More detailed posts will follow, but for now, we're going to kick off with a cut-out-and-keep guide to the old school world of the UK tabloid newspaper market, using the story of the 'London Black Cab Rapist' to help demonstrate the differences between the different publications. Here's a quick rundown of the tabloid front page headlines the day after the somewhat unsavoury chap was sentenced:

The Daily Mirror: "London Black Cab Rapist: 100 Victims"

The Sun: "London Black Cab Rapist: 200 Victims"

The Daily Mail: "London Black Cab Rapist: 500+ Victims"

The Daily Express: "Low Energy Lightbulbs Give You Cancer"

So, dear readers, next time you find yourself in a conversation about which publications are most suitable for your brand, you will have all of the information you need. And unless your brand is one that particularly appeals to scared, racist old people (Little Chef, for example) then stear clear of the Express.

0 comments: